Work and Travel Australia

This post is also available in: Español

Student in the work and travel program

If you want to travel to Australia, you have to be clear about your goals in the country. This is because you will need a specific visa according to what you are going to do.

For example, if you want to go to work in Australia, you can either see the requirements for the working visa, or you can apply to a Work and Travel program and apply for a Work and Holiday visa.

In this program, also known as Work and Holiday, you will be able to work in Australia while enjoying travelling in this beautiful country. A big problem is that, unlike other visas, it is not easy to obtain, but still applying to this program is worth it. 

In this article, we will talk about all the requirements and steps you need to follow to apply to a work and travel program in Australia.

How does this program work?

A Work and Travel program lets you explore Australia from 6 to 12 months. During this time you will be able to work in a temporary job in many industries, but mainly in the hospitality industry.

Most of the available positions are food and beverage service, barista, cooking, front office and customer service.

To do this, you need a work and holiday visa, but keep in mind that even though you will be able to stay in Australia for 12 months, you can only work for 6 months with the same employee. 

Also, this visa lets you study in Australia for 4 months. One of the options you have is studying English because the length of their courses is from two weeks to three months. Also, English courses are flexible and it also lets you work without any problem. 

Keep in mind that having the opportunity to study in Australia is a great way to upgrade your  curriculum. 

How do you know if a work and travel program works for you?

This program works for you if you are between the ages of 18 to 30 and that you want to live abroad to know other cultures and live the adventure of a lifetime. 

Also, if you are looking for work experience abroad and you are open to new experiences this is the program you have been looking for.

Keep in mind that the greatest thing about this program, you will have a sufficient salary to live and travel around the country. So, you will be able to pay for your experience in Australia.

What are the requirements to apply for a Work and Holiday visa?

Before applying for a Work and Holiday visa you need to comply with the following requirements:

  1. You have to be between 18 to 30 years old.
  2. You haven’t had this type of visa before.
  3. You need to be a citizen of certain countries in America and Europe. In the government official list,  you can find what countries participate in the program.

Once you know you are a citizen of any of these countries and comply with the other requirements you have to fill out an online application. To do that, you need to do the following.

How to apply for a work and holiday visa for the work and travel program?

Check if applications are open

Sadly, there are a limited number of Work and Holiday Australia visas that are approved. For this reason, if you were not favoured you have to send your application next year.

Right now, with the covid situation, it is recommended that applicants postpone their application for the Work and Holiday visa.

Group of international students

Present valid identity documents

When applying for the Work and Holiday visa you have to attach a photo of the first page of your passport or you can also attach a copy of your ID. The important thing is that you can certify your identity.

Meet certain educational requirements

The educational requirements depend on your nationality, but one of the requirements is to have completed a minimum of 2 or 3 years of your university degree.

You could also be asked for other documents to prove your academic experience. For this reason, the Immigration authorities recommend that you visit the official website of the Australian embassy in your country to have information in more detail.

English sufficiency certificate

You need to prove your level of English to participate in a work and travel program. The most common alternative is to take a valid English certification exam like the IELTS, TOEFL or the PTE test. For these exams, the authorities require a minimum mark.

For the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), you need 4.5 points. On the other hand, for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), you need 32 points.

Also, for the Pearson Test of English (PTE), you need 30 points or you can also take the Cambridge C1 Advanced Test, with a minimum of 147 points. Keep in mind that in these exams you will be assessed on your reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.

Request a letter of support from the government of your country

You can obtain this letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Human Mobility in your country. Just go to their offices and ask what the procedure is if you need it.

Show that you have funds for your stay

You need to prove that you have at least AUD 5000 in your bank account to get the Work and Holiday visa. Also, you have to prove that you have a flight to return to your country or the funds to buy it.

International student in the airport for the work and travel program

Attach a police certificate

This requirement is not mandatory, but the authorities may ask for your criminal records. You can obtain this certificate issued by the authorities of your country.

Meet health requirements

You can be asked for your medical tests. On the official Immigration website, you have more information about these exams and the procedures. However, you do not need to do them until the authorities inform you if you need them.

Once you have these requirements, you can make your requests. Remember, you have to translate all these documents first.

Keep in mind that if for any reason, you are not a candidate for the Work and Travel program in Australia, there are some alternatives, one of them is the student visa. This document lets you study in Australia from 3 months to 5 years and it all depends on the duration of the course you want to take.

If you have any other questions regarding a work and travel program or the work and holiday visa do not hesitate to contact us.

Make a comment...

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *